International Graduate Admissions
2023 SJTU International Graduate Admissions
Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) is a world-renowned higher education institution and one of the top universities in China. It has established itself as a comprehensive, research-oriented, and internationalized university and ranks 46th worldwide (QS 2023). The university now has 33 schools/departments, 12 affiliated hospitals, 2 affiliated medical research institutes, 23 directly affiliated units and 5 directly affiliated enterprises, offering a wide range of degree programs.
Each year SJTU admits students from nearly 100 countries, and more than 7000 international students are studying on campus. Its 31 colleges and schools offer more than 100 graduate programs to international students. The study duration for master’s programs is usually 2-3 years (full-time), and 4 years (full-time) for doctoral programs.
The following are general requirements for application to SJTU International Graduate Programs.
1. Non-Chinese citizen.
2. Good health both physically and mentally.
3. Outstanding academic performance and potential.
4. Bachelor’s degree for master program applicants. Master’s degree for doctoral program applicants.
5. Proficiency in Chinese and/or English. For details please refer to Language Requirement for SJTU International Graduate Programs.
Oct 1, 2022 2023 application opens
Dec 15, 2022 Deadline for 1st Round Chinese Government Scholarship application
Feb 15, 2023 Deadline for 2nd (Last) Round Chinese Government Scholarship application
Mar 31, 2023 Deadline for SGS Scholarship, SJTU Scholarship application
May 31, 2023 Deadline for self-supported application
Sept 11, 2023 Enrollment
HOW TO APPLY
Step 1: Complete the Online Application
Complete and submit an online application at Study@SJTU (http://isc.sjtu.edu.cn/) before the application deadline. If you wish to apply for the scholarship at the same time, please complete the application before the scholarship deadline.
Step 2: Pay the Application Fee
The application fee is RMB 800 (approx. USD 120), non-refundable and non-transferable. Payment must be made in RMB or USD. You can choose online payment or bank transfer in the online application system.
MATERIALS TO PREPARE
1. Degree certificates, in scanned files. Applicants who have not graduated by the time of application are required to provide an official letter from their current university stating the expected graduation date.
2. Transcripts, in scanned files. Master’s program applicants are required to submit undergraduate transcripts. Doctoral program applicants are required to submit both undergraduate and graduate transcripts.
3. Proof of language proficiency.（pls see Language Requirement for SJTU International Graduate Programs）
4. Scanned copy of passport.
5. Passport-size photo.
6. Personal statement and study plan.
7. Two letters of academic recommendation from scholars who are associate professors or above, or senior professionals in a related academic field. Please follow the instructions on the online system for submission of online recommendation letters or upload the recommendation letters with original signatures.
8. If you are applying for programs of the School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology or School of Mechanical Engineering, you are required to contact the supervisor beforehand and provide an acceptance letter by the supervisor.
Note: If your documents are not in English or Chinese, please have them translated into either English or Chinese by an authorized translation agency. Then upload both the translated and original documents onto the application system.
RMB 45,500/Year for Doctoral programs (Approx. USD 6,600/Year)
Tuition of Master programs varies with the program, so please check SJTU 2023 international graduate program list for details.
Basically, for incoming international graduate students, there are two channels for scholarship application: through Shanghai Jiao Tong University or through Chinese Embassies/Consulates in the home country. Applicants may choose only one application channel. Replicated applications through more than one channel are not allowed.
How to Apply
1. Apply for scholarships through SJTU
Starting from 2023, scholarships for doctoral programs will consist of: SJTU Fellowship, CSC/SGS Scholarship, SJTU Scholarship. And scholarships for Master programs will consist of: CSC/SGS Scholarship, SJTU Scholarship, School/College Scholarship. Details of each scholarship will be on the application system.
When applying at http://apply.sjtu.edu.cn/ applicants should choose “apply for scholarship through SJTU”and follow the steps online. Applicants should complete the scholarship application procedures in time according to the requirements of the university.
The earlier an applicant completes the application, the sooner he/she will receive an offer of admission and scholarship if the review result from the university is positive. Applicants can check the scholarship result through the application system.
Please note that applicants applying for Chinese Government Scholarship through SJTU are required to submit their applications before the specified deadline and upload the Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (filled in and downloaded from https://www.campuschina.org/). If not recommended as a CSC Scholarship candidate, the applicant will be automatically assessed for the SGS Scholarship, or SJTU Scholarship.
2. Apply for scholarships through Chinese Embassies/Consulates in the home country
Applicants may also apply to the Chinese Embassies/Consulates in the home country for scholarship opportunities. The application schedule varies from country to country (usually from November to April).
Please consult the Chinese Embassy/Consulate about its application schedule, eligibility, requirements, procedures, documents, agency number, program category type and so on in advance. For the contact information of Chinese Embassies/Consulates, please visit the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China at http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/.
Please note that applicants who apply for scholarships through Chinese Embassy/Consulates must also apply on the website of the University according to the HOW TO APPLY specified in Article 3 of this 2023 SJTU International Graduate Admission.
In general, scholarships duration cannot be extended.
All scholarship recipients are obliged to participate in the annual scholarship review in April and/or May which will confirm their scholarship status in the next academic year.
Application Website: http://apply.sjtu.edu.cn/
International Affairs Office, Graduate School
Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Room 331, Chen Ruiqiu Building
800 Dongchuan Road, Shanghai 200240, China
1. The GRE Designated Institution Code of SJTU is 2129.
2. The TOEFL Designated Institution Code of SJTU is B902.
For more information, please visit: